Dental diseases are described as disorders that affect your mouth, more particularly your teeth and gums. These diseases are the most common experienced by humans. Dental diseases usually begin unnoticed and suddenly escalate to being irreversible or a major health problem. These diseases are preventable if proper care is done, which includes routine visits to your dentist in LaGrange, IL, Dr. James Maragos. However, to take better care of your oral health, you also need to know your role in preventing dental diseases.
Prevention Basics of Dental Diseases
- Brush correctly at least twice a day.
- Gently floss daily using a slow sawing motion.
- Limit your intake of acidic drinks that can soften and dissolve the enamel of your teeth.
- Use your teeth specifically for chewing food and not for removing bottle caps, cracking nuts, and other non-essentials.
- Come in for regular checkups with your dentist even if you are not experiencing dental problems.
- A well-balanced diet that is low in sugar and high in fruits and vegetables.
- Drink primarily water instead of other liquids.
- Quit the use of tobacco in any of its forms.
- Reduce or eliminate alcohol consumption.
- Utilize protective equipment to reduce the risk of injuries to your face.
- Essential exposure to fluoride as a way to prevent cavities.
Take note fluoride is not only available in toothpaste. You can get it from fluorinated drinking water, milk, and salt.
We Are A Team
By some mystery of the mind, people only think of visiting their dentist when they feel pain or there is something wrong in their mouths. What they miss out on is that when it comes to preventing dental diseases, you and your dentist in LaGrange, IL, are a team. As a team, you must approach prevention wherein both of you contribute to ensuring that dental diseases are prevented or at the very least, minimized. As specialists in oral health, the role of your dentist is to:
- Diagnose potential dental diseases.
- Promote good oral health and prevention practices.
- Plan, maintain, or restore oral health programs for you.
- Interpret diagnostic test results.
- Ensure the safe administration of drugs and anesthetics.
- Monitor the growth and development of your teeth, gums, and jaw.
- If necessary, perform surgical procedures.
Now that you know your role in preventing dental disease, simply work with your dentist as a team to help ensure optimal oral health.
Need Dental Advice? Give Us a Call
Dial (708) 352-7358 to reach the office of dentist Dr. James Maragos here in LaGrange, IL, and book your consultation date.